- Learning Web account. If you don't have one, check out the registration tutorial.
The Media Embed is a content type available within the Learning Web that does exactly what its name implies. Rather than uploading media content directly to the Learning Web, media is embedded from an external website. Media Embed can currently be used to embed content from Edutube, Flickr, Hulu, Slideshare, SoundCloud, Viddler, Vimeo, and YouTube.
Step by Step
- Log in to the Learning Web and go to your portfolio.
- The Media Embed content type can be used within any folder in your portfolio. For example, you could have a folder that is specifically used to share videos or other media for a course. You could also include embedded media as a part of a diverse collection of course resources related to a unit of instruction or an assignment.
- From the folder, go to "Add new..." and from the drop down menu select "Media Embed."
- Enter a title and description. Users will see the title as a link on the page that lists the folder contents.
- For the URL, for most sites you can just copy and paste the web address for the media content (i.e. the web address for the YouTube video). If you are using content from HCC's EduTube site, you will need to first click on the "Share" button, then click on the "oEmbed" button. Copy/paste the web address that appears.
- Enter in any other information about the video and click "Save."
- The embedded media should appear on the page.
- Remember to Publish the content item to make it publicly available on the site.
- View some examples of the Media Embed content type
- If you linked to media on a site that is not currently supported, you will get a message that the media can not be loaded. However, there will be a link to the external website where the media can be found.
- If the content is removed from the external site or for whatever reason is no longer available on the site, the embedded media on the Learning Web will no longer be available.
- If students inform you that they are unable to see the content in the folder, make sure that it has been published.